September 23, 2008

3:00 p.m.


Lynwood Roberts Room

1st Floor, City Hall

117 W. Duval Street



Attendance: Council President Fussell, Council Members Clark, Holt, Yarborough, Corrigan, Webb, Bishop, W. Jones, Redman, Johnson


Also: Steve Rohan, Peggy Sidman, Shannon Eller, Cherry Shaw and Dylan Reingold – Office of General Counsel; Kirk Sherman and Janice Billy – Council Auditor’s Office; Dana Farris and Carol Owens – Legislative Services Division; Adam Hollingsworth and Sherry Hall – Mayor’s Office; Lin White, Chris Pearson and Lesley Davidson – Dept. of Public Works; Kelly Boree – Recreation and Community Development Department Wight Gregor, Laura Stagner, James Richardson and Clayton Bailey – Housing and Neighborhoods Department;  Paul Crawford – JEDC; John Crofts – Planning and Development Department; Dianne Smith, Debbie Delgado, Sandra Lane, Angela Ryan, Celeste Hicks, Sarah Lane, Mina Hosseini, Meghan Friel, Alison Miller, and Tiffany Clark – ECAs; Annette Hastings – Tourist Development Council; Jeff Cements – City Council Research; Rachel Welsh and Steve Cassada – Council Administrative Services; Tia Mitchell – Florida Times-Union; Kevin Meerschart – WJCT; John Delaney, Paul Harden, T.R. Hainline



The meeting was called to order at 3:05 p.m. by Council President Fussell.


Council Member Webb reviewed the Rules Committee’s actions from its meeting, noting 2 requests for emergency action on items 2008-751 and -752 (appointments to the Cultural Services Grant Committee).  These bills will be moved immediately after the Consent Agenda approval.


Council Member W. Jones reviewed the RCD Committee’s actions from its meeting.


Council Member Bishop reported that all of the TEU Committee’s actions are on the Consent Agenda.


Council Member Yarborough reviewed the PHS Committee’s actions from its meeting.


Assistant General Counsel Shannon Eller reviewed the LUZ Committee’s actions from its meeting.  In response to a question she briefly outlined the conditions imposed on 2008-651, a rezoning on Epping Forest Drive.


Council Member Corrigan reviewed the Finance Committee’s actions from its meeting.  The Council President stated that the annual budget will be taken up as listed as the last item on tonight’s agenda so as not to detain the members of the public in attendance for the numerous land use and zoning public hearings.


President Fussell noted that three members are excused from tonight’s meeting so it will be imperative for members to remain in their seats as much as possible to ensure a quorum.  In response to a question about the Jacksonville Aviation Authority’s budget the President stated that he has scheduled a meeting next Monday with JAA Executive Director John Clark to discuss several “big picture” issues.  In anticipation of that meeting he requests that no changes be made tonight in the JAA budget as proposed by the Finance Committee; changes can be considered after the Council and JAA have entered into substantive discussions about their relationship and the JAA’s proposed list of priorities and projects.


The President also indicated that the budget contains no mention of the proposed Jacksonville Journey Foundation.  As a result of lengthy negotiations the Council leadership and Mayor have agreed on a new method of oversight and accountability by the Council.  Council Member Holt suggested that a brief explanation of the overall outlines of the budget and the Finance Committee’s changes would be helpful for the audience in attendance, especially if done before the public hearing.  Council Member Corrigan and Council Auditor Kirk Sherman will make that presentation early in the meeting.


Chief Deputy General Counsel Steve Rohan noted the request on page 11 to take up item 2008-843 (relocation of polling places) as an emergency tonight in preparation for the November general election.  Robert Phillips of the Supervisor of Elections’ Office will make a brief announcement during the meeting encouraging citizens to take advantage of early voting options.


There being no further business, the meeting was adjourned at 3:18 p.m.




Jeff Clements, Chief

Council Research Division




Posted 9/23/08

5:20 p.m.