City Council Chamber, 1st floor, City Hall

May 7, 2018

2:00 p.m.


Location: City Council Chamber, City Hall – St. James Building, 117 West Duval Street


In attendance: Council Members Lori Boyer (Chair), Al Ferraro, Matt Schellenberg, Reggie Gaffney, Joyce Morgan, Tommy Hazouri, Jim Love, Danny Becton


Also: Paige Johnston – Office of General Counsel; Trista Carraher – Council Auditor’s Office; Legislative Services – Adri Maguire Segui; Yvonne P. Mitchell – Council Research Division


Meeting Convened: 2:02 p.m.


Council Member Lori Boyer called the meeting to order and the attendees introduced themselves for the record. She shared informed the committee that she met with several of the vendors and listed their concerns. Mobilitie was concerned about the directional face of a cabinet mounted to a pole. After some explanation, the committee agreed to eliminate the specific direction as a standard.


CM Boyer provided a brief explanation of Uniti Fiber’s comments during their conversation. Mr. Kelly McGriff, Uniti Fiber, stated the company is required to stay out of the power space on poles which involves specialization. However, in certain situations, a sidearm antenna is necessary on transmission/distribution poles. He stated the other option would be to add a pole in the right-of-way (ROW). Uniti Fiber inquired about mounting of antennas on wire strands and the size of cabinets. The committee was opposed to wire mounting.


In response to sidearm antennas, Mr. Jordan Pope, JEA, stated the preference is to utilize the pole top, as high as possible. When using an electric pole, any additional equipment must be below the communications facilities. He stated that as integration continues some street light poles will most likely be more sufficient for colocation.


Per CM Crescimbeni inquiry, Mr. Pope will research the recourse for a vendor that has been denied access to the top of a pole instead of installing an additional pole. It was requested to provide possible situations that involve a dedicated street light. This information will assist the committee in debating a sidearm antenna standard.

There was discussion regarding the equipment standard as it relates to the increase of new poles in the right-of-way. Mr. McGriff emphasized that vendors have the right to install a separate pole instead of colocation. The proposed standard minimizes the aesthetic impact of existing poles to one top antenna shroud (6 cubic feet in volume)  and one side cabinet (one cubic foot in volume) installations maximum. CM Boyer commented that a waiver process would be included as a part of the standard.


Heather Duncan, AT&T, referenced the state’s statute as it pertains to the cubic volume definition. The cubic volume is 28 feet and supports the antenna. Her position is that the Council should not further restrict the volume requirement. Jason Teal, OGC, suggested a modification of associated equipment to coincide with the state statute. He believes the City can regulate the location (on pole, ground, or underground) which complies with the objective design criteria. CM Boyer suggested a savings clause is added to ensure that 28 cubic feet are not on a JEA pole. She explained that the proposed standards are active in the various municipalities researched. Ms. Duncan reaffirmed that AT&T believes the state statute is fair and should be implemented as written.


Mr. Pope noted that JEA has concerns regarding the separation requirement and directional facing of the cabinet. He stated that concrete poles size might increase depending on the amount of equipment to be added. The current poles only have one conduit. If two or more conduits are necessary, the manufacturer determines whether the size of the pole. Mr. Pope confirmed that poles are generally located to the back of the ROW. Therefore, the recommendation is to locate new poles in the same line as the street lights unless the street lights are on a transmission/distribution pole. CM Al Ferraro shared his concerns about poles in the middle of the sidewalk. Legislation will include language to exclude sidewalks, with except to the standard APA path.  The committee is opposed to running wires across the street; however, if this is required must go underground. There was discussion regarding the height of replacement and colocation poles. He will respond in his final report.


Mr. Teal will prepare the draft to be submitted as a substitution at the next Council meeting. He will provide the draft to members on Monday, May 14th. CM Crescimbeni requested a restriction is included regarding poles on side lot lines in rural areas. Also, he wants a solution to handle the removal of poles that are vacated by a vendor. Committee members should provide any comments or additional recommendations to Mr. Teal.


Next Meeting Topics

Zoning and Small Cells on private property


The next meeting will be noticed on May 21, 2018.


 Meeting adjourned: 3:56 p.m.


The written minutes of this meeting are only an overview of what was discussed. The following items have been submitted for the public record. Please contact legislative services for these items.


Minutes: Yvonne P. Mitchell, Council Research

   05.13.18     Posted 9:45 p.m.


Tapes:  Joint LUZ and TEU Special Workshop Meeting – LSD



Handouts:  Joint LUZ and TEU Special Workshop Meeting – LSD